Letterbox

Have you ever heard of Letterbox before? If not, don't worry...because until yesterday I had never heard of it but it caught my attention. One of my favorite bloggers shared her experience and how she stared her Letterbox journey and shared this link to help her readers get started or read more into it. 

Letterboxing is an intriguing pastime combining artistic ability with "treasure-hunts" in parks, forests, and cities around the world. Participants seek out hidden letterboxes by cracking codes and following clues. The prize: an image from a miniature piece of art known as a rubber stamp—usually a unique, hand-carved creation.

I wasted no time and went on a hunt yesterday! I picked the closest Letterbox to me, which happened to be at a cemetery. Gasp, a cemetery by my house?! I didn't even know! I've pass by this fence lot all the time and was curious why it was fenced in when all the other lots aren't. I would of never thought it was a cemetery. 

"Half an hour west of Phoenix, a chain-link fence encircles a desolate gravel lot. Inside are hundreds of rows of coaster-size brass markers engraved with real names or simply Jane Doe or John Doe. This is White Tanks Cemetery, the indigent burial site where Sheriff Joe Arpaio's chain gangs bury more than 300 bodies a year. Since 1994, the site has received more than 2,984 bodies, including babies. There are no trees or grass or a sense that anyone comes to visit-other than a few scattered artificial flowers and a small American flag and Teddy bear resting next to the only headstone. White Tanks Cemetery is funded by Maricopa County taxpayers, therefore, every expense is either standard or very minimal. Families who want to be considered for the indigent burial program can send a referral to the public fiduciary. For a person to be eligible for the program, their assets and income, including the next of kin, must both meet poverty guidelines. Since the county doesn't want to spend a lot of taxpayer money, it provides only the bare minimum for burials."
 












I had walked by the same spot over and over again and I couldn't find the rocks in the clue. Luckily, Lawrence was moving random rocks around and happen to find the right one. I would have never found it on my own. The stamp had leftover ink from previous visitors, so it has a beautiful color scheme of purple, blue and fuchsia in my journal. 

~ I hope this inspires others to start their own Letterbox journey ~

1 comment

Tanya said...

This sounds almost like Geo CASHING.. Is it the same thing??