Portobello Pizza

The biggest challenge when cooking low calories/low carb meals is trying to cook for two without feeding my husband the diet stuff. LOL. He refuses to even taste foods that include the words Gluten Free or Fat Free! This does make things a little more complicating but sometimes I like a little challenge..lol. I found dinner ideas that I could alter for myself by switching 1 or 2 ingredients or that I knew we'd both enjoy and still work for my diet.

First meal on the list was Pizza, we were able to share all but one ingredient! 


 

Portobello Pizza

Ingredients:

  • 2 large whole portobello mushroom caps
  • 1/2 cup marinara sauce 
  • 1/4 cup reduced fat mozzarella
  • 8 pepperoni slices
  • Any Extra toppings you like
  • Cooking spray

I made Lawrence his pizza on store bought pizza crust with the ingredients I would also use for mine. I couldn't buy low fat cheese or marinara since I had to share them with him, but if you can, I would recommend it. I baked this pizza according to the package the crust came in.




Next was my pizza...
According to my app it's about 300 calories altogether.

Directions:

  • Clean mushroom caps and remove gills, pierce back side a couple of times with a pairing knife, being careful not to go all the way through
  • You can season lightly with salt and pepper (I didn't do this step)
  • Spray a baking sheet with non-stick spray and place mushrooms on it gill side down
  • Tent with foil and broil on high for 10 minutes, or until mushrooms begin to slightly soften
  • Remove mushrooms and allow to cool under foil tent for a few minutes before adding toppings. They will continue to soften at this stage.
  • Pour off any collected liquid before adding toppings
  • Add toppings, with sauce on bottom, tent again with foil, and return to broiler for 5 minutes or until toppings are bubbling, and cheese is melted
  • Remove foil and allow cheese to slightly brown if desired





Here is the finished product. I'm not the biggest fan of mushrooms but I did enjoy my Portobello Pizza!




No comments